You'll find more information about the programs and opportunities we offer on our website, kwls.org. The Writers' Workshop Program main page includes an overview of our program, with links to complete course descriptions and application requirements. Visit our Scholarship Program main page for information about Workshop Financial Assistance, our Emerging Writer Awards, and the Teacher and Librarian Scholarships.
The program is open to any student in Monroe County who will be starting their sophomore, junior, or senior year in the fall of 2018. Local students who are home-schooled or from other unconventional backgrounds are also encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:Complete the form below, and upload an application letter of no more than 650 words (minimum 500 words).
- Introduce yourself. Explain why you want to be a part of this program. What makes you a great candidate? What in the description of Young Writers Studio sounds intriguing to you?
- Describe your relationship to reading and writing. Please tell us what has been your favorite thing (novel, poem, short story, graphic novel, children’s book, anything) you have ever read and why.
- Tell us about your relationship to Key West. What do you love about this area and landscape the most? Do you have a favorite place you can tell us about, or a favorite aspect of life here?
File name should adhere to the following model: “Lastname_Firstname.doc” and your name should appear at the top-right-hand-corner of the page.
- Feel free to address these questions in whatever order makes the most sense to you, and creates a logical and good flow.
- Be yourself. Your letter should be casual and relaxed. Don’t be afraid to give us a sense of your personality and be completely honest.
- Remember that detail, description, and sharing quick anecdotes or examples can help make your writing fun and relatable. Also remember that editing for typos and small errors helps show that you care and are trying to make the best first impression.
The deadline is Tuesday, March 20, 2018. Applicants will be notified of their acceptance by April 15.